Welcome to the Davis Diary

Peek into our life!



Monday, April 6, 2009

Reach for the Stars

When I first met my husband, I just couldn't understand what he did for a living. It all had to do with numbers, math, calculations and other stuff that I was never really good with in school. English, I said, is one thing I was good in so could you please tell me in simpler words? So in English he told me that he designs the orange engines on the side of the space shuttles. Oh, well... okay that makes sense. NOW I know what you do everyday when you leave me! LOL. So ever since I met Kevin, I am more aware of NASA flight missions since he is a big part of them.

Last October Kevin and I got an awesome invitation to see the Endeavor's lift off from three miles away at the Kennedy Space Center. I have to say that this was an amazing experience. One that I will never forget. I never had a chance to share these video's when I was with Babysite. And a friend keeps asking to see the videos. Sooo... Here is a picture of Kevin and I up close to the shuttle before the launch.

Here are the Endeavor's take off videos. In the second video check out when the shuttle broke the sound wave barrier! Pretty awesome.... (turn off the music to hear full effects)





So while we were waiting for the lift off, we bought Peyton a Cat in the Hat book titled There's No Place Like Space. We looked for astronauts that were there for the lift off to get them to sign Peyton's book. It was neat getting up close and personal with some astronauts! hehe. We figured that this would be a wonderful keepsake for Peyton. I do hope we have a chance to go again when Peyton is old enough to understand what is going on. I think this would be an experience he would never forget.

Anyway, after the astronauts from the Endeavor flight returned home from the mission, Heidi Stefanyshyn-Piper (the one all over the news who lost the Million Dollar equipment in space) came down to Michoud to meet up with the Engineers to thank them for a successful, safe journey. So, Kevin brought Peyton's book for her to sign. And she signed it to Peyton to reach for the stars. NEAT!!!

Don't worry Ms. Heidi, we will make sure that Peyton does just that!!!!

I think Ad Astra means the same thing!


3 comments:

  1. Does your husband work for Lockheed Martin?! My husband worked for them for 3 years when we lived in Denver. He worked in Special Programs-designing classified spacecraft for the DOD. I never really understood what he did there- it was all classified and he was not allowed to reveal what he worked on specifically. What's your husband's degree in? Where did he go to school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! You must be very proud of the work your hubby does :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by the Muffins blog! All I have to say is WOW!! Your husband is SOOOOOOOOOO cool!!! LOL! Oh, and the pictures you have of the feet with your child in the middle...sigh...absolutely adorable! I think I should take the same picture!

    ReplyDelete