Welcome to the Davis Diary

Peek into our life!



Friday, February 3, 2012

Zack's Rough Week

My poor Zack has had a very rough week.  It all started last week when we noticed that he stopped eating for about two days.  He was very clingy, slept a lot, and lost interest in playing with his favorite ball.  When he did eat, I noticed that he wouldn't take food from me.  I had to put it down on the floor and he took it in his mouth in a sideways fashion.  By the end of the week, I decided to go ahead and bring him to the vet to see what was up.  Come to find out he had a abscessed tooth.  And we come to conclude that  this infection probably came from Zack rooting in our garbage that we had to the side to put outside.  We caught him with his head in the bag.  I think whatever was in there and he got a hold of caused the infection.  Anyway,  I guess that explains the sideways eating.  Our vet told us that he has bad tarter buildup on the back teeth and we should schedule for a cleaning.  Zack had his teeth cleaned about three years ago, so I guess it is about due for another.  They push every year but at $400.00 a pop, I can't imagine how people can afford such luxury on their dog's mouth.  We agree to every two to three years depending on how bad the build up was.   So the abscessed tooth was our calling.  We scheduled him for Friday and the vet gave us some pain pills to help with any discomfort.   The next day (of course) Zack was acting like his old self and even his gums was turning back to the nice pink instead of fire engine red.  So Tuesday, Wednesday and all day Thursday he was perfectly fine.  Thursday night was a different story.  He woke us up with continuous throwing up and diarrhea.  Every two hours I was up with a very sick dog.  I swear it was as bad as having a newborn!!  His teeth cleaning was scheduled for the next morning so Kevin called the vet and told them of the situation and asked if it was a good idea to put him under since he was sick all night.  They said probably not but for us to bring him in anyways just in case his sudden illness was from the abscessed tooth causing an infection in his body.  So we brought him in and got a call later that they wanted to test him for Pancreatitis since the symptoms were the same.  Four hours later they called back and said that he tested negative for Pancreatitis it was Gastritis and that he was so dehydrated that they put him on fluids and wanted to keep him until 5:00 p.m. and if he still showed signs of dehydration they wanted to keep him during the night.  So we called back at 5:00 and they told us he was looking better and to come pick him up.  I was so happy to have my puppy home.  Kevin and I felt that Zack would feel so much better if he was home in his own bed.  Our puppy is the type of dog that gets depressed when we are away, so we know what would be best for him to get better.  Zack was so excited to be home and first thing he did was jump in our bed to sleep.  We were excited to have him home too!  So the culprit of Zack's sudden illness?  Well I bought a new All Natural Duck treat that didn't agree with him.  Needless to say...those treats went right in the garbage.  I have to be very careful what I buy him and the vet told us not to trust everything that says All Natural.  So $300.00 later we learn a valuable lesson.  I think the year of 2012 will be the highest vet bill we will ever pay for Zack.  We haven't even gotten to the cleaning and shots yet!  :)  Oh well, my puppy is worth it.  In the eight years that we had Zack, he was always super healthy.  So I'm not complaining one bit.  I am just happy that our puppy is feeling better.

No comments:

Post a Comment