Welcome to the Davis Diary

Peek into our life!



Monday, March 11, 2013

The Forgotten Whale Project

Today is a nasty cold, rainy day.  And as happy as I am to see Peyton after school, picking him up in this type of weather is no treat with a baby in tow.  Thankfully, the teachers invited me to stand inside while I waited for Peyton to round the hall corner.  Which was taking a while I noticed.  When he finally appeared in sight, I realized that he kind of had an upset look on his face, but I wasn't quite sure.  As we were walking out of the school doors together, I bombarded him with the usual questions "How was school?"  "Did you have fun?" and so on.  He said something about how he couldn't bring his whale project home today and became very teary eyed.  So unusual for my son since he was always proud of his work at school, but was never excessive about them.  Well this stopped me in my tracks and I sat down on the building ledge and asked him questions about why he couldn't and what happened.  Now getting a clear answer from a 5 year old is like trying to read a book written in Chinese.  And it was cold, so I felt it was time to move on towards home and that he would forget about it in the next 5 minutes.

But he didn't!  And by the time we got home he was no longer teary, but crying.  I asked him why he was so upset about this project and he said he wasn't upset, just very disappointed that he had to leave it.  Which broke my heart even more.  I asked again for the reason. Was he finished?  Yes.  Was he punished from bringing it home?  No.  What did Mrs. Joan say when you asked?  Still, no clear answer that I could put together anyway.  I asked if the rest of the kids got to bring home their projects?  And he answered yes.  I told him that I didn't see any of his classmates with anything in their hands.  But he said they did.  And then I started to doubt myself that maybe I wasn't paying full attention and maybe, just maybe they did and my poor son was told no.  But why I asked myself.  I definitely will be asking the teachers about this tomorrow!!

Then my son begged for something that he has never done before.  He begged me to go back to school so that he can get his project.  Really?  It is that important?  I almost said no because that would mean dragging the baby back out in this horrid weather.  But I couldn't do that.  I wanted my son to know that I will always stand up for him.  That I will always seek out what is upsetting him and solve it if it is within my power. It will always be me and him against the world! So back out in this horrible weather we went to get the beloved whale project!

When we made it back to school, Peyton didn't even wait for me.  He hightailed into his classroom.  I apologized to the puzzled looking teachers and explained that I must had forgotten to get his work because Peyton was extremely upset about it.  Ms. Laura looked confused and when Peyton pointed his little finger to his whale project, Ms. Laura kindly had to explain to him that it had to stay until Friday so that his grandparents for Grandparent's Day can see it.  I told her that Peyton thought the rest of the kids brought theirs home and she brought him around the classroom to show him that every one's project was still there.  And it suddenly occurred to me that the teachers have already been through this with Peyton about the project....hence the long wait at pick up!

I quickly apologized to the teachers again and headed back home hoping that Peyton was feeling better about the whole thing and when I asked him he said "a little bit better".   And now he has forgotten about it 5 minutes later. 

I have to say that I am proud that Peyton is getting so involved into his work.  That he wants what he has done and has extreme pride in it, enough so that he is willing to go all the way back just to get it.  He sure is growing up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment