Welcome to the Davis Diary

Peek into our life!



Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Smoke, Smoke Everywhere

NEW ORLEANS -- Thick smoke continued blanketing parts of the metro area, as a massive marsh fire kept burning in eastern New Orleans.

Mayor Mitch Landrieu said that the fire is now over twice the size of City Park's 1,300 acres. Landrieu made the comment after finishing a morning flyover of the fire Tuesday.
Landrieu said that he will meet with state officials to discuss options for fighting the fire, but "aerial assault" may not help.
After finishing the flyover, Landrieu left for Baton Rouge to discuss options with governor's office. He is planning afternoon newser to announce plans.
"The experts are saying that even if you try to put water on top of it the smoke's going to continue," said Landrieu.
The smoky haze has loomed over sections of the city since this weekend.
"It's like your house is on fire. That's what it smells like," said Angel Price, who lives in one of the closest neighborhoods to the fire.
The fire, which has already scorched 1,300 acres of marsh, has been burning since late last week.
"We woke up coughing during the middle of the night, maybe about 2 or 3 (a.m.)," said another neighbor, Trimile White. "It's been pretty bad and I have a 1-year-old son, so I'm just trying to deal with it, but it's getting worse by the day."
Officials say they can't do much about it though, as the fire is burning in an inaccessible area.
"The best practice for this going out is by rain, obviously. We continue to explore every other option that is available to us that protects the health and safety of first responders," said Landrieu Monday.
Landrieu said the city is working with state and federal officials in a continuous effort to monitor the situation.
"Our coordinating systems are all in place right now and we'll continue to react based on the best advice our emergency responders give to us," he said.
Officials say, if it doesn't rain, the fire should burn itself out sometime within the next three days.
They stress that it isn't a threat to any homes or businesses.
But as the aggravating smoke keeps billowing into the New Orleans East sky and beyond, neighbors like Greg Glasper say they'd like to see a more aggressive plan of attack.
"You can bring a helicopter with some water and dump the water on it and try to smother the fire. At least do something about it. It's a nuisance," Glasper said.

Today when I watched the news, the weather people said that the smoke should be better today.  The smoke should be pushed more to the north.    Well, they were so, so wrong!  Ha!  Around 10:00 this morning I could smell the smoke inside my house.  When I went outside, it was not just hazy but really foggy with smoke.  Instantly my eyes started to burn a little and my nose tingled like it does when I stand too close to a BBQ pit too long.  I went to get my camera because even though it has been a little hazy the last couple of days and I could never smell the smoke from inside, today was a different story.  As I was taking pictures (and as fast as I could to get out of the smoke) I see a lady jogging down my street.  Is she crazy?  Ha!  I have to admire her dedication though!!   But  I don't know how she could breath in that stuff.  Poor Peyton will stuck inside all day today and he has been asking to go outside.  But no way, not today!  It is suppose to rain this week, so hopefully that will take care of this problem.  It's been three days now and I am already tired of it.  So weird that this is happening.  They say that the fire was was caused by lightening. 

1 comment:

  1. OMG'osh, Connie! That is horrible! I'm so sorry to hear that. We had a fire closeby too, started by lightning and we could smell it but it wasn't as bad as what you're going through. They contained it pretty quick. In a few hours.

    Hope that smoke goes away soon. Some rain would help! I'll pray for you guys. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete