Welcome to the Davis Diary

Peek into our life!



Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Camping Day 4

Well today was our last full day and we wanted to make the best of it.   We packed a picnic lunch and Kevin, Peyton and I bicycled to the playground.  Mom can't ride a bike so they drove there to meet us.  Peyton played a little but was more interested in collecting bottle caps with my Mom.  :)  After a while we all were ready for lunch.  The weather has been so gorgeous.  It felt nice eating under all the beautiful pine trees.    After lunch we decided to meet back over at my parent's RV, grab my Dad and take another ride around the campground.  This time we took Peyton in his trailer.  Before we left Peyton asked for my parent's dog, Macy, to ride with him.  Of course Macy was happy to jump in the trailer with Peyton.  He loved the ride!!  So Mom and Dad left and Kevin, Peyton, Macy and I bicycled back and met Dad to join us to bicycle. 

We stopped over by the lake where there is a dam that runs into a creek.  It is beautiful there and I only had my point and shoot the first time, so this time I brought my Nikon to take some pictures.  We climbed down some stone steps to the bottom of the dam.  At the bottom there is a ledge where there is another 12 feet drop down to the creek.

Now for incident number 2:  The ledge comes to Peyton's waist.  I was a little nervous (okay I am lying, A LOT nervous) and told Kevin to please hold on to Peyton because it is a long drop and there were areas where it is rocky.   As I was shooting pictures and keeping an eye on Peyton, Dad's dog decides to jump on the ledge, slips off of it and we all watched as he fell over the side down 12 feet.  I let out a scream (which alarmed the people across the creek fishing) and had all kinds of images pop in my head about what the outcome would be when puppy landed below.  I knew we were above rocks and honestly, I thought the puppy was a goner...or come out of it with broken bones.   I watched as puppy fell.  How I manage to let myself do that I don't know.  I would think I would cover my eyes or something.  Fortunately for the puppy, he landed between two rocks that had a pocket of water.  He also landed butt first which helped him from not slamming his little head on the rock.  He jumped right up on a rock, looked up at us as to say "what now?"   Kevin and Dad climbed down (in tall weeds that could have had alligators) and got the puppy.  We watched puppy for a little while before we took off riding again to make sure he really was okay.  Turns out he was just fine.  What a lucky, lucky dog he was.  He could have died!   None of us ever though that dog would jump up there.  I guess we can never underestimate our children or our pets!!  After a couple of minutes and a couple of relieved laughs and jokes we headed off again to continue exploring.  

We went back to Mom and Dad's RV to do a little more fishing, playing horseshoes then before we knew it it was time for dinner.  Peyton was pretty tired and not in a great mood by the end of the day.  I think we all were really tired especially after a close death of the wonder dog!!

No comments:

Post a Comment