Welcome to the Davis Diary

Peek into our life!



Monday, February 18, 2013

Oh Boy, This Girl Has RSV

Sick girl at doctor's office.   :(
Last Thursday, our girl developed a cough.  I was kind of worried that she may have caught Peyton's cold.  As much as I had him wash his hands, especially before touching her, it didn't seem to have worked.  It looked like she had her first cold.  She had this light cough all day Friday too, but it didn't seem like anything serious.  BUT early Saturday morning, around 1:00 a.m. when she woke us up for her feeding,  she projectile vomited and started crying.  And the crying didn't stop.  And she kept coughing.  Needless  to say, I was up for the day.  It looked like from her symptoms (including the coughing) that she was suffering with Acid Reflux so I gave her some gas drops which didn't seem to help at all.  All morning Saturday she was not acting her self.  She was whiny, irritable and wouldn't eat much.  I called her Pediatrician's office and asked them what I should do.  The nurse gave me some suggestions and said it did sound like Acid Reflux and made an appointment for Emma early Monday morning.  However, as time went on,  Emma looked like she was starting to feel worse and I wanted to kick myself in the butt for not insisting to have her brought in to the Covington office Saturday morning when I had the chance. And to top that off,  her cough got worse....a LOT worse.  By Sunday she was really coughing bad which had me worried and her reflux got worse.  I had Kevin pick up some Colic Calm and it seem to have helped her a little bit, but I can still tell that she just wasn't wasn't feeling well.    Monday couldn't come fast enough for me.   Monday finally came and when they heard her cough they immediately tested her for RSV.  I was hoping that wasn't the case but heard  the conversation outside of the door between the nurse and the doctor that they had two cases of RSV in the office and Emma was one of them.  My poor girl!!  I felt so bad for her.  How could I let this happen and I asked the doctor the same question?  The doctor discussed the game plan for treatments and explained to me that I could have disinfected the house till I was blue in the face, all it took was for Peyton to cough or sneeze near Emma and she was infected.  Really? The only way to completely protect her was to keep Peyton totally away from her which is impossible when we all live in the same house.  My poor baby.  The only good news was that her lungs sounds clear. 


She had her first breathing treatment in the office which she handled well.  They gave me a machine, a prescription for Saline, a prescription for Zantac to help her out with her reflux and sent us on our way.  When we got home, she wanted nothing but for Mommy to hold her and snuggle.  And guess what I did?  I held and snuggled with her ALL DAY LONG.  I would do anything to help my little Ladybug to feel better.  We have an appointment on Wednesday to make sure that the virus is still not in her lungs.  I pray not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment