Welcome to the Davis Diary

Peek into our life!



Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Peyton's early arrival






Connie is a little busy with her recovery and new mommyhood status, so I'm doing the journal entry today.Peyton was born on Tuesday January 8th at 4:07pm. He weighed 6lbs 11 oz and was 19.25" in length.The day started off very nervewracking. We get a call from the doctor's office saying, "We received your latest blood test results and need to see you right away." That is never a good thing to hear from your doctor. Once we get to the doctor's office, she confirms what Connie had been saying all along. The reason for her terrible itchiness over the last month is that Connie has a rare liver condition(cholostasis(sp?)) seen in only 0.6% of the cases. It causes no harm to Connie but provides widely unpredictable results for the baby. The worst condition seen 3% of the time is infant death with little to no warning. This condition is not well understood and there is no official form of treatment. Well, since Connie was on her 37th week of pregnancy, the doctor suggested we do the C-section that day. Worst case is that we get the baby out and he may be in the hospital for a week since his lungs may or may not be developed. So, at 4:07pm Peyton Connor Davis was born. View the pictures in the album. At the moment, everything is looking great. He is not under any special monitoring. The hospital is treating him like any other baby. Connie has started breastfeeding right away and so far mother and son are doing wonderfully. We will probably be in the hospital till Friday for standard C-section recoveries.Thanks for all of the congratulations we received so far, we are truly happy and amazed at the new addition in our livesFrom the new daddy,Kevin

1 comment:

  1. I know you are wondering why is ths person commenting on this blog that is over a year old. BUT I saw your comment on April Rose's blog and I too had cholestasis with my second presgnancy. I found out when I was 5 months alond and it was from the terrible itching. I had to have alot of checkups and from that moment on if my baby didn't move 6 times an hour I had to go to the hospital to be checked out. I found out the reason for the fatality in this condition is that the "bile" crosses the placenta and causes the baby to have a massive heart attack. Atleast that is what they said on the discovery health channel anyway. But I wanted to let you know that with my third child I was tested and tested and I didn't have it so hopefully you won't either. And by the way you have an absolute beautiful baby.

    ReplyDelete